The vision of SoAHEC is a healthy southern New Mexico.
To serve as a culturally competent regional resource for the promotion of health equity among the communities of southern New Mexico.
- Improve the diversity of the health professions workforce by providing health career education to students in southern New Mexico from under-represented backgrounds, supporting the training of medical residents in rural settings, and facilitating continuing education opportunities for health professionals.
- Provide and support health promotion activities that reduce the impact and prevalence of chronic disease, promote safe and healthy environments, and enhance psychological well-being for residents of southern New Mexico.
- Provide leadership and support for community-based participatory research in underserved communities by linking university faculty and staff to underserved southern New Mexico communities.
- Develop and foster partnerships with health and social service agencies to more effectively address the health concerns and needs of our communities.
- Respond more efficiently and effectively to funding opportunities for research and demonstration projects that increase opportunities for southern New Mexicans to achieve optimal health.
- Develop and implement scientifically sound evaluation protocols for our health programs in order to improve program delivery and better document our impact on the health of the individuals and communities in southern New Mexico.