AHEC’s mission is
To enhance access to quality health care, particularly primary and preventive care, by improving the supply and distribution of healthcare professionals through community/academic educational partnerships.
NM AHEC Goals include:
- Increase the ethnic diversity of healthcare professionals in New Mexico
- Encourage professional practice in underserved communities
- Encourage students to explore careers in healthcare and provide them with health career information
- Provide support for health professions students to gain clinical and life experiences in rural New Mexico
- Provide continuing education to health professions residents and practitioners in order to improve the quality of healthcare services to New Mexicans